Friday, July 8, 2011

Write EVERY Day

It's a challenge to do and it's something that, while I know I should do, I have never been able to do successfully.  You'll hear from countless sources that writing every single day, whether you have anything worth writing about or not, is the best way to go about creating a flow of ideas as well as acting as a daily exercise designed to continually improve your writing skill.  As you know and, as I have learned over the years, the only way to truly improve that writing skill is through actually writing.  No amount of literature or instruction on the topic will inform you, a writer, better than taking part in the act itself.

by Smile
So ideally, to be a better writer, I need to write everyday, no exceptions.  As I said, this is something that I've struggled with for years, never able to establish an ongoing routine.  Well, that's all about to change.

Thanks to Nina, I have happened upon this very cool site which encourages writers and gives them an outlet to write words every day, at least 750 of them to be exact.  The site tracks each day and how many words you write, compiling a number of interesting/funny stats based on the words written (though no human eyes other than yours can actually read them) as well as handing out badges to those that keep a consecutive streak of 750 word days going.

As it stands, I've only completed one day.  But it was actually pretty helpful.  Having that set goal to reach really pushes you to power through and put some text down no matter the quality.

And that really is the problem.  Even with a notebook, I find myself constantly filtering myself, scratching out more story than I put in.  This compulsive need to create perfection during a first draft rather simply focusing on laying down a basic plot structure and getting ideas out into the open has always inhibited me.  Since the site provides you with only a blank computer screen and a word counter, I don't feel so pressured to create something of literary merit every time my hands touch the keyboard.

It might be too early to tell, but I'm thinking this might be the start of a new early morning routine.  Check out the site for yourself and give it a try, let me know what you think.