Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Why I Don't Fear Intellectual Theft

So apparently some people are afraid of having their work stolen and that keeps them from posting it on the internet.  I can understand this fear; a lot of stuff does indeed get stolen off the internet.

Picture taken from: http://www.worldpresscartoons.com/2009/08/17/theft-of-intellectual-property-2/
But isn't it pretty presumptuous to even assume in the first place that your work - your writing, photography, music, sketches, whatever - is good enough to be stolen?  I think that making something great enough to be stolen is an accomplishment in and of itself - because generally people don't steal crap.


Now I don't know if I'd ever want to post an entire novel within the confines of this blog, but certainly I wouldn't be opposed to submitting portions of it up for review by the masses.  In fact, I plan to start doing that very shortly once I begin work in earnest on my own novel now that the fall semester is coming to a close.  And honestly I would think it funny if someone took what I wrote and tried to pass it off as their own....it would be funny because I highly doubt that person could continue producing work in my same style.  So I'm not scared.  Being recognized personally as a great writer is not nearly as important to me as having the work I do itself being recognized as great.

There seems to be an idea floating around that you become a writer (or any kind of artist) to make money.  I find this a horribly disgusting concept.  That the sole determination of the greatness of your work is not it's quality or the emotional effort put into it but rather the amount of potential gold that can be produced from it is something I find immoral and highly disgraceful.  If you aren't writing solely for the love of words, for the love of crafting beautiful phrases and for the telling of tales...then you shouldn't be writing.  Full stop.